#108 new

IE7 Crashes completely while using innerHTML in body context

Reported by MSebel | October 29th, 2008 @ 04:13 PM

Hello Scriptaculous Community

Once again I've got some problems with IE7 an Javascript. This time it is according to scriptaculous.

I know, this is normally not allowed:


This code does not crash IE. IE might just think "oh yeah, I don't have the innerHTML property, so I don't do anything".

Now in our CMS solution, we introduced scriptaculous 1.8.1 with Prototyp (prior, but same problem). Since we got those Javascript (and a few other using scriptaculous, such as the lightbox2 and some tooltip js), IE7 crashes upon the above stated code.

I already tried to debug it in Firefox, but there (and also in every other browser I know) doesn't crash anything. I think this als stards with the "fireContentLoadedEvent" which is thrown right after the above innerHTML application.

In fact, this starts in prototype, but the error appears to be in scriptaculous, because if I don't load the scriptaculous libraries, no crash will happen. (Of course, Lightbox and Tooltip don't work anymore in this case). I also tried to exclude the Lightbox/Tooltip and only use prototype/scriptaculous, but the same error happens...

Here's a test website:


I appreciate any help =) Thanks in advance!

Comments and changes to this ticket

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

script.aculo.us is an open-source JavaScript framework for visual effects and interface behaviours.
<br/><b>Source available from github</b>
The Git repository resides at:
<a href="http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous">http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous</a>
<br/>Check out the current development trunk with:
<code>git clone git://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous.git</code>
<br/>As <b>script.aculo.us 1.xx is feature-frozen</b>, this development trunk is for <b>bugfixes only</b>.
<br/>New development should happen only for
<b>script.aculo.us 2</b>.
<br/><b>Creating a bug report</b>
When creating a bug report, be sure to include as much relevant information as possible. Post a an example that shows off the problem. Preferably, <b>alter the unit tests</b> and show through either changed or added tests how the expected behavior is not occuring.

People watching this ticket